Shields
have been used for centuries during times of war. During ancient Greek times,
shields would have images that reminded them who they were and what they were
fighting for. A shield represents defense more than attack. Having images of
what made these warriors who they were was what gave them reason to fight and
defend. Because a shield generally signifies defense, it is significant that
the purpose for their defense is stated on the shield. Aeneas was believed to
be the son of Anchises and the goddess Venus; who got him a shield forged with
a great deal of symbolism and prophecy of things to come. On the shield, “were
seen Italia’s story and triumphant Rome, wrought by the Lord of Fire, who was
not blind to lore inspired and prophesying song, fore-reading things to come.”
(Williams, Theodore. The Aeneid of Virgil. Book 8. Boston and New York Houghton
Mifflin company, The Riverside Press Cambridge, 1908.) This was so important to
the Romans who believe that Aeneas is one of their ancestors.
Where
do, my men, where do you go so fast? What sudden discord is this? Restrain your
rage! The league is made, and all its rules arranged. I only have a right to
take this field. Yield now to me; dismiss these fears of yours. With my hand I
shall make the treaty firm. These sacred rites make Turnus due to me. (SparkNotes
Editors. The Aeneid. SparkNotes.com, SparkNotes LLC, 2005,
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/aeneid/full-text/book-i/)
Augustus Caesar was on
the shield to remind the people of the Golden Age of Rome and how he brought peace
to Rome. The battle of Actium was also depicted on the shield, along with
Cleopatra and other significant imagery to remind Aeneas of all that awaited his
people. The shield depicted Roman beliefs and practices that reminded them to
put Rome first above all else and their heritage as mighty warriors of a
powerful nation.
Despite Aeneas’s impulses to act otherwise the shield
kept him on the right path of prophecy, helping him to stay true to what he believed
in. If I were to be battling in war, there would be a few reminders that I
would have to have on my shield to help me give it my all and to battle with
courage, strength and determination. I have chosen a shield that will be used in
the final battle in the last days that I would use myself. I have always loved
Moroni’s declaration on the title of liberty which states: “In memory of our
God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children.” (Smith,
Joseph. The Book of Mormon. The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints,
2013.) If I was to ever go to war, what is stated in the Title of Liberty would
be my reasons to go. I would want to make sure that I am remembering who I am
and what I stand for, namely, my God, my family and my religion is what is most
important to me when it comes down to it.


In
South Africa there is a Zulu word that comes to mind: Ubuntu, which can many
things, but it reminds me that I am what I am because of the people around me.
I would love to be reminded of the people who made me who I am today and who
continue to build me into the person I am striving to become. President Nelson
Mandela exemplified this characteristic in so many ways by the way he lived his
life and the respect and spirit of forgiveness he had, and that is why he might
be on my shield to remind me of Ubuntu.
I would also like to remember a little more about why we have been placed on earth and where we would be going after we die (https://www.comeunto christ.org/beliefs/purpose-of-life/plan-of-salvation), which plays a huge role in how I act and what I do.
I chose the Latter-Day Saint culture because it is the one, I know best and I firmly believe that we should always be prepared to defend ourselves and our families against unseen dangers. There is a large parallel between using the shield to defend ourselves and placing what matters most to us on a shield. When you put what really matters most first, or in front of you like a shield you will be protected against harmful attacks concentrated on you. We need to be reminded each day of what we believe in and what we are defending and I believe that when we do, there will be nothing that will keep us from defending our divine heritage and our family bonds.
Works cited
- · Frazer, James George. Apollodorus, The Library, with an English Translation. F.B.A., F.R.S. in 2 Volumes. Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press; London, William Heinemann Ltd. 1921.
- · Smith, Joseph. The Book of Mormon. The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, 2013.
- · The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. Come unto Christ. https://www.comeuntochrist.org/beliefs/purpose-of-life/plan-of-salvation
- SparkNotes Editors. The Aeneid. SparkNotes.com, SparkNotes LLC, 2005, https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/aeneid/full-text/book-i/
- · Virgil, Dryden, John. The Aeneid. 2009.
- · Wikipedia. Definition of Ubuntu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_philosophy
- · Williams, Theodore. The Aeneid of Virgil. Book 8. Boston and New York Houghton Mifflin company, The Riverside Press Cambridge, 1908.
Comments
Post a Comment